The Visit Anchorage site says it very well when it notes… “With low humidity and summer temperatures that typically top out in the mid-70s, Anchorage is an excellent choice for avid runners who want to incorporate a race into their visit. "
They also note "Anchorage is at sea level, requiring no adjustment to a higher, heart-pumping elevation. There is no hustling through traffic or breathing in car exhaust - as most races take place on Anchorage’s award-winning trail system. Along the paved trails, runners enjoy wooded vistas that open up to expanses of the steely gray waters of Cook Inlet or the rugged peaks of the Chugach Mountain Range.”
2014 will see a number of major and smaller runs hosted in Anchorage. Running in general is a big sport here, in part for the reasons noted above, and we’ve got many great places to train. Part of the trail system, the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail is very popular with walkers, runners and bikers alike. You can see the diversity of our trail system by clicking on the link to the overall map at the bottom of the blog. Maps are presented in a bit more organized fashion on the Trails of Anchorage website, also found at the end of the blog.
Marathon season begins in February. Highlights for the year include the:
- Iditarod Trail Invitational 1000 miler, an ultramarathon, which begins in Anchorage on 2/23/2014 and ends in Nome many days later. There is also the 350 mile option, ending in McGrath.
- Mayor’s Midnight Sun Five Miler / Half Marathon / Marathon, which happens on Solstice, June 21st.
- Her Tern Half Marathon, held July 20th, and
- Skinny Raven’s Half and Moose’s Tooth Marathon on August 12th
Other fun runs also happen each year. We are really excited about the
- Frostbite Footrace, held on February 22, 2014 during Fur Rondy
- Anchorage Salmon Run, held on May 3, 2014
- Gold Nugget Triathalon, held on May 18th, 2014
- Alaska Run for Women, held June 7, 2014
- Mt. Marathon race, held on July 4, 2014, a long standing tradition held in Seward, Alaska
- And many others!
We also just learned that the Color Run is returning to Anchorage on June 28th. We are located one block from the start. Guests had so much fun at the Color Run last year - we’re really looking forward to a repeat experience.
11th Avenue B and B is a great place stay while in town for any race. Why? Because you will get a restful sleep the night before in a convenient, quiet location; a fortifying breakfast, lots of fluids, lots of encouragement and if you have special needs, we will help you with those.
For the most up-to-date race list click here (maintained by Skinny Raven) or here (maintained by the Municipality of Anchorage).
For the trail system maps, check out the Trails of Anchorage (organized by area of the city) and the Municipality of Anchorage's overall trail map.
And remember, you don't have to be a runner to participate. Walkers are encouraged too. Whatever your preference, we hope to see you soon, with your shoes on!